Nemmeli Sri Alavandar Naiker / Nayakar Temple – Champion of ECR Road, Chennai Visit, Travel Guide
– ayiram kaani sri alavandar shrine visit photo coverage
Recently visited the Nemmeli Sri Alavandar temple – Arulmigu Nemmeli Alavandar Naiker, a lesser-known temple dedicated to Sri Alavandar in Nemmeli, near Mahabalipuram, Chennai. Sri Alavandar was a champion helmsman of his times, demonstrating great talent to maneuver the boat and was skilled in rowing. Sri Alavandar lived in the East Coast Road(ECR) between 1835 – 1914. A fitness freak, it is said that he was a trained Wrestler, a champion swimmer, and winner of the tough competition the Kelambakkam – Kovalam – Kelambakkam Race (Walkathon) where one has to carry along 25 kg Weight stone used for measuring Salt.
Sri Alavandar was a flourishing trader and accumulated huge wealth by owning boats that carried firewood to Madras. He accumulated huge wealth by owning boats that carried firewood to Madras, took contracts of Salt Pans and numerous cultivable lands. He left his significant landholdings & property for charity and contributed most of his wealth in providing food and other essential support during festivals held in Thiruvidanthai and Mahabalipuram.
Travel tips for Nemmeli Sri Alavandar Naiker / Nayakar Temple, Chennai.
Address: East Raja Street, Mahabalipuram,Chennai,Tamil Nadu,603104
How to Reach to Nemmeli Sri Alavandar Naiker / Nayakar Temple:
On Road: Taxis, buses and hired cars are easy ways to get around.
Nearest Railway Station: Chennai Central (Station Code MAS) and Chennai Egmore Railway station ( Station Code MS).
Nearest Airport: Chennai International Airport (Code MAA).
Check out and enjoy my photo captures of Nemmeli Sri Alavandar Naiker / Nayakar Temple, – The Champion of ECR Road, Chennai .
Visually Walked & Featured By
Hello! Casual Walker is a curious travel & culture – photography magazine curated by Balakumar .M, an Avid Traveler & Photographer, International Award-winning Entrepreneur, Technologist, received Asia Innovation Award from SingTel, Singapore. The magazine focuses on wide range of local visual contents – connecting travel, traditions, culture, places, temples, events, art, reviews, food, and books. read more
For collaborations, advertising needs, features, queries, or just anything about the Casual Walker platform, please email us:
Send Your Message
Share this Photo Story with someone who would Love it:
- Food Walk in Triplicane organized by Tamilnadu Tourism Development Corporation (TTDC) & Madras Inherited: Discovering the Famous & Best Restaurant, Mess, Sweet & Snacks, Masala Milk Shop in Triplicane – Visit, Travel Guide
- Mylapore Jannal Kadai – Window Mylapore Jannal Kadai, Window Bajji Stall – Best Bajji, Bonda, Somosa, Sweets & Snacks Shops in Mylapore – Travel Guide, Review
- BAPASI 45th Chennai Book Fair 2022 – South India’s largest book exhibition (Updated)
- Madras Literary Society library, Chennai – One of the Oldest library in India – Visit, Travel Guide
- Chennai Postcrossing Meetup to celebrate the World Radio Day, Organized by Madras Postcrossing Commune (MPC) at Nageswara Rao Park in Mylapore, Chennai
- Lord Kasi Viswanathar Temple, Tenkasi, Tirunelveli : the Second largest temple gopuram in South India – Visit, Travel Guide
- Mylapore Festival 2020 – Food Walk in Mylapore curated by Chennai Food Walks : the best Bajji, Bonda, Somosa, Sweets & Snacks Shops in Mylapore – Visit, Travel Guide
- Mami Mess / Mami Tiffen Stall / Mami Tiffin Stall, Mylapore – famous and oldest traditional eateries for Tiffin and Lunch in Mylapore
- Sri Chamundeshwari Temple in Chamundi Hills Mysore – where Mahishasura was killed by Goddess Chamundeswari – Mahishasura Mardini & One of the 18 Maha Shakti Peethas / Shrines – Visit, Temple Timings, History, Travel Guide
- Thiruthalaiyur Saptharisheeswarar Temple, Thiruthalaiyur, Tiruchirappalli, Oldest Lord Siva Temple – Visit, Travel Guide